An ingrown toenail is a common nail disorder. It is caused by the sides of the toenail digging into the soft skin and flesh tissue of your toe. When the skin breaks and develops a wound, bacteria can easily enter, making the area vulnerable to infections. This condition can cause severe pain, redness and inflammation.Any nail can become ingrown, but the condition is generally found in the big toe.
Timely Treatment and Care
Getting the proper care and timely treatment can help you avoid any further complications. The best resource for your toenail condition is your podiatrist. At Paul S. DeMarco, DPM we provide the best care and treatment methods you need to help you overcome your nail disorder.
Here are some of the top causes of ingrown toenails.
- Irregular trim. One of the most common causes of ingrown toenails is cutting your nails too short or at an angle instead of straight across.
- Genetic tendencies. In many people, the tendency for ingrown toenails is hereditary.
- Trauma. An ingrown toenail sometimes occurs as a result of a trauma. The stubbing of your toe or a repetitive activity such as running can cause severe stress to your toes.
- Wrong footwear. Ingrown toenails can form as a result of wearing short shoes with narrow toe boxes and loose socks. Proper footwear can make a huge difference in avoiding many toe and nail disorders.
- Poor foot hygiene. Ingrown toenails can occur as a result of poor foot hygiene which offers a breeding ground for dangerous bacteria and fungus to spread.
If you are experiencing the symptoms of ingrown toenails, your best resource is your podiatrist. At Paul S. DeMarco, DPM we constantly strive to provide our patients with quality treatments and procedures. Our board-certified podiatrist, Dr. Paul S. DeMarco and his team of highly trained professionals can provide you with the finest quality of foot and ankle care possible. Make an appointment today by calling our Somers Point office at 602-927-4894. We also serve Atlantic County and Cape May County in the New Jersey area.