Who doesn’t like to be up to speed with all the latest shoe fashion trends? Most women acknowledge that shoes make them happy and that they can never have too many. We’ve all made the occasional shoe purchase which may be fashion-forward but was it the right shoe choice to providing the necessary support and comfort keeping your feet safe, functional and in good shape?
Here are some tips to guide you when choosing the most appropriate footwear.
1. An activity dictates what kind of footwear you want to opt for whether it’s golf, ballet or basketball. Have a pair for each type of activity as they all vary in shoe structures, comfort and flexibility.
2. Have your foot measured by a professional every time you make a new shoe purchase.
3. Wet your feet for footprints to help you determine what kind of support and cushioning is best appropriate. These footprints can indicate whether you have a fallen arch (flat feet) or not.
4. It’s best to shop for shoes during the afternoon as our feet swell or expand with us as the day goes by.
5. Practice standing and walking around in the shoes. This helps to ensure that you have enough room between the big toe and the end of the shoe as it can restrict your mobility.
6. Check if your soles provide enough support and protection from sharp objects.
Wearing the right shoes can help avoid an injury and other common foot ailments such as bunions, ankles sprains, and shin splints. It’s important to talk to a foot and ankle specialist to ensure that these types of injuries don’t worsen or occur in the first place. At Paul S. DeMarco, DPM we help treat all types of foot and ankle conditions like hammertoes, warts, fungal infections, bone spurs and diabetic foot problems. Schedule an appointment with our board-certified podiatrist, Dr. Paul S. DeMarco for a comprehensive evaluation.