Are your feet dry and cracked and making you feel self-conscious? Cracked feet are a common foot problem, they are known as heel fissures. Anyone can suffer from cracked feet and the problem mainly stems from lack of hydration or inadequate moisture. Luckily, your feet can still be smooth and soft again.
Causes of Heel Fissures
- Cold weather and windy conditions
- Soaps with artificial ingredients and chemicals
- Standing for long periods of time
- Exposure to water
- Wrong footwear – socks and shoes
- Psoriasis or other skin disease
- Hard feet
- Dry feet
- Itchy feet
- Red or flaky skin
- Peeling skin
- Bleeding skin
- Infection at the site
Although cracked feet are an unattractive and uncomfortable problem, there are many home remedies you can use to cure your feet. This can be done by rehydrating the skin and the tissues and adding moisture to your skin. If your problem is not severe, you can see results within a few days to a week, but proper foot hygiene and care must be followed to maintain results.
Home Remedies for Cracked Feet
- Soaking- Always soak your feet in a tub or large bowl of hot water and a mild soap. Try to keep your feet immersed in the water for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Exfoliation- Scrubbing or exfoliating removes the dead skin and buildup. You can scrub with something granular such as sugar or salt, or with a milder formula using cooked oatmeal or yogurt which contains lactic acid to exfoliate.
- Drying- It is very important that you towel dry your feet completely.
- Moisturizing –It’s time to seal your feet with moisture. Use a thick foot cream or moisturizer to thoroughly massage your feet. Pay close attention to dryer areas and apply more cream on those areas. Options: Shea butter, Petroleum Jelly, Vaseline, Coconut Oil or Olive Oil are great choices.
- Protect- Now put on a pair of clean socks that you can wear overnight. The socks will ensure that your feet have ample time to absorb the properties of your cream or moisturizer and help keep your heels clean in the process.
- Repeat this process two-four times more or do it on a weekly basis to improve the condition and to keep your feet soft.
For severely cracked feet, you must see a board certified podiatrist. If you have abnormal amounts of bleeding and pain while walking along with other symptoms of heel fissures, consult with Dr. Paul S. DeMarco before attempting any home remedies as this could cause infection. Dr. Paul S. DeMarco is a board certified podiatrist and he can diagnose and treat your condition and help you find relief for the long term. He specializes in adult and pediatric care. Visit Dr. Paul S. DeMarco and his trained staff at Somers Point, New Jersey for speedy relief and benefits. Call us today at (609) 927-4894 or make your online appointment to save more time for holiday shopping.