Did you know that almost 25% of the all the bones in your body are found in your feet? Here are some other fun facts:
- Your feet are their largest at the end of the day. That’s why our podiatrist, Dr. Paul S. DeMarco, recommends that patients shop for shoes late in the day to ensure the best fit.
- Toenails grow faster during hot weather, teenage years and when you are pregnant.
- On average, women walk 3 miles more a day than men.
- Your feet contain 250,000 sweat glands.
- Standing in one spot is more tiring than walking because of the continual strain being put on one set of muscles in the feet.
- Each foot contains 33 joints, making it a prime target for arthritis and other joint disorders.
- Your feet act as a type of early warning system for your body. Many conditions, including: diabetes, arthritis, circulatory and nerve issues will first appear through problems in the feet.
- Women have 4 times as many foot problems as men—this may be due in part to the wearing of high heels.
- Most people have one foot that is larger than the other.
- It takes 5-6 months to grow a whole new toenail.
- 9 out of 10 women are wearing shoes that are too small for their feet.
- More than half the women in America have a bunion problem.
- The average person who lives to be 80 will walk 115,000 miles—that’s the equivalent of walking around the globe at the equator 4 times.
- 75% of all Americans will have a foot problem at some point in their lives.
At Paul S. DeMarco, DPM, we want you to know that we are here to serve all your podiatry needs. If you have toe, foot or ankle symptoms that are causing you discomfort contact our Somers Point office for an appointment.